Our mission: To motivate young people to become better citizens.
I am an Army JROTC Cadet
I will always conduct myself to bring credit to my family, country, school, and the corps of cadets.
I am loyal and patriotic. I am the future of the United States of America.
I do not lie, cheat, or steal and will always be accountable for my actions and deeds.
I will always practice good citizenship and patriotism.
I will work hard to improve my mind and strengthen my body.
I will seek the mantle of leadership and stand prepared to uphold the Constitution and the American way of life.
May God grant me the strength to always live by this creed.
Chief Warrant Officer II (Ret) Stephen C. Klein Senior Army Instructor (SAI)
Sergeant Major (Ret) Arnold L. Lewis Army Instructor (AI)
History of Army at Pueblo County High School JROTC
The Army Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps was established in 1916 under the provisions of the National Defense Act of 1916. With World War I looming on the horizon, this program was established with the intent of providing military training to young men in high school in preparation for service in the US Army. Over time, the program and its mission evolved. In 1973, girls were admitted into the program and the mission changed to its current purpose of “motivating young people to be better citizens.”
The Pueblo County High School Army Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps (JROTC) Hornet Battalion was established on 1 July 1968 by Headquarters, United States Army General Order Number 37.
The first JROTC classes were taught during the fall of 1968. The first Senior Army Instructor was Colonel Wilbur Hilton and the first Army Instructor was Master Sergeant William Petrie.
The Hornet Battalion has been in existence for 42 years. During those 42 years, the Battalion earned an Honor Unit with Distinction rating 21 years and an Honor Unit rating 18 years. The Battalion is currently an Honor Unit with Distinction.
Past instructors are as follows:
Senior Army Instructors
- CW2(R) Stephen C. Klein 2018 thru Present
- LTC(R) Gordon Crawford 2017 thru 2018
- LTC(R) James A. Mosser 2015 thru 2017
- MAJ(R) Austin K. Mikasa 1995 thru 2015
- CPT(R) Daniel Freitas 1994 thru 1995
- LTC(R) Donald V. Hallock 1983 thru 1994
- LTC(R) Charles Smith 1982 thru 1983
- LTC(R) Frank W. Laskowski 1975 thru 1982
- COL(R) Wilbur S. Hilton 1968 thru 1975
- SGM(R) Arnold L. Lewis 2010 thru Present
- SGM(R) Rodney N. Smith 2008 thru 2010
- SFC(R) Paul K. Montez 2007 thru 2008
- MSG(R) Carl L. Cordova 2001 thru 2007
- MSG(R) James L. Jones 1985 thru 2001
- MSG(R) Dave Rau 1978 thru 1985
- 1SG(R) Jack McNichols 1973 thru 1993
- MSG(R) Warren N. Petrie 1968 thru 1973
Rifle Team State Champions
Congratulations to the Pueblo County Army JROTC Rifle Team for finishing 1st place at the Southern Colorado State Championship for the 2nd year. Pueblo County was led by Hannah Brown who led the team by shooting 549 points out of 600. She was followed by Nathaniel Romero who shot a 546 , Kayla Mihelich 536 and Jennifer Oliveri-Knox with a 535. Hannah Brown is the Colorado State Champion. Brown and Romero are the Colorado State two person team Champions. Congratulations Good job PCHS Rifle Team HOOORAAAAHHH!!!!